Thursday, September 6, 2012

#ThursdayswithTaryn Good Morning Glory! #busy #writer

My morning glories are starting to bloom now. My husband swears he's going to have to fight them because they're taking over some of his elephant ears. He says they're jerks who are trying to be elephant ears- their leaves are massive and do sort of resemble his plants but they have pretty little flowers. He is right though- in some respects they're trying to choke out the other things around them, so they can thrive.
I originally planted seeds on this one corner of the house because we had an old rot iron trellis that had once been a corner piece of the carport. When we closed in the carport to add an additional room to the house, the corner piece had to go, but I didn't want to toss it, we dug a hole and for a while used it for a rose trellis, but it died back, so I planted morning glories there. I haven't planted new seeds for a couple of years, but each season, late summer, they begin to flourish and they drop seeds aplenty for next year. They are taking over the wild white rose bushes I have on the side of the house.
Of course, they take care of themselves, replenishing their supply and I kind of like that I don't have to think about them much anymore. I just know they're going to be there. I always thought morning glories bloomed early summer to fall, but these tend to take their time and don't begin to bloom in shades ranging from pale pinks to dark purples until late August, early September. It's become a signal for me that school is going to start, that the weather is going to start shifting, that fall is on its way. And it gives me one last touch of summer before it's all gone away.
The Autumnal Equinox isn't until the 22nd of this month, but I already feel the change, see it out my window and it gives me a sense of purpose. The end of summer represents a slow down, but not just that, it drives me toward being more focused in my life, my writing, how I use my time.

This shift in focus might be noticed in the lag in blog posts recently, but I'll try to keep up a few times a week, even if things have gotten quiet on the blog front. If I'm not posting, it could be that I have a LOT going on behind the scenes, especially since I recently finished up the who-knows-how-many-eth read-through edits on Love by Design and there's some things I'm either working on or sorting out, so there might well be news soon about when I'll have a cover, a release date and other goodies to share with you. It's an exciting time, but also one I need to devote to doing the things behind the scenes to move myself and my books along toward self-publication and I hope you'll stick around to see how that works out because I honestly can't wait to share these stories with you.

Have a wonderful Thursday!
Tomorrow in the Friday Spotlight is
The Daughter by Christina Wolfer
so be sure to swing by and check out her novel!

No comments: